‘We might not be able to afford living here soon.’ That’s what members of Brigantine City Council heard all night at their meeting on September 3, 2014. Click thru to watch video>>
Some Brigantine residents getting extra-crazy tax hikes. Especially part-time residents. Some being forced to consider leaving as Mayor pushes to hire more full time fire-fighters, complete with benefits & pensions.
Gail Pratt, 25 year resident. Retired school principal from Medford. Impassioned. Angry. Sad. Getting choked up. ‘We can’t afford to stay in Brigantine’. Asks Mayor Guenther to make tough decisions.
Gail referenced corruption in Medford, NJ that caused high taxes. Pratt recalls Medford cleaned things up a bit by reducing police force from 48 to 29 officers in order to cover their 42 square mile community. ‘Things are fine’ with 29. Mayor answered Pratt by discussing effects of Atlantic City Casino issues.
- Pratt’s home had $350,000 increase in assessment. (neighbor’s assessment went down $200k)
- Her taxes increased by $14,400 this yr. (50% increase to 45k)
- Ms. Pratt notes that a bigger house w/ bigger lot nearby, is paying 15k less in taxes
- 40 ft of her lot is restricted. Can’t build on it, yet being taxed on full value.
- No children in school district, but supports strong schools because it helps all
- Pratt spent personal funds to fix drainage on public street
WATCH Gail Pratt Video>>>
Brigantine Resident Gets 30% Tax Hike to $50k Per Year.
Barry Glaser. 405 24th Street.
- Taxes up 30%
- Now paying 50k per year
- Noted similar properties, specifically from full-time residents in attendance, paying much less. Some privileged taxpayers are paying half or less in taxes, compared to Mr. Glaser’s property.
- Will Brigantine ‘go bankrupt’ from this out of control spending
WATCH Barry Glaser Video>>>
Some Brigantine Homeowners Pay Less Tax. Councilman Avoids Discussion?
Looking for tax assessments in Brigantine: Click: https://wipp.edmundsassoc.com/Wipp0103/
Interesting to see some wide variations. Some don’t seem to make sense. What do you think?