The South Jersey Cancer Fund raised $8,600 during the 12th Annual Stephanie Burke Beach Run on Saturday, June 23.
The run was held in memory of Stephanie Burke, a longtime Brigantine resident who was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease in 1997.
Stephanie, a mother of two, lived with this disease for eight years. She approached each day with joy, optimism and courage. Click thru for pics.
Stephanie and her friends organized the race in 1999 to benefit the SJCF, a non-profit organization that helps people with cancer pay for medication, food supplements, COBRA payments, utilities and other expenses.
Over 95 percent of funds raised go directly to the patients and their families.
The event consisted of a 5K (3.1 mile) and a 1-mile Fun Run or walk. More than 50 runners did the 5K (3.1 miles), running down the beach to Club Drive and back.
- Top finisher: Will Flournoy of Port Republic who won in 20:02
- Top female finisher: Dara Schulman from Arlington, Va., who finished in 24:15
- First Brigantine finisher was Patrick Sofield, finished sixth overall with a time of 21:21, followed by Ed Stoltzfus with 22:55
- Brigantine age-group winners were Jack Corbett (26:48), Paige Sofield (25:55), Marissa Murray (28:02), and Maureen Baldwin (24:35)
- Battle between Brigantine’s Fire & Police departments was won by the Fire’s Bill Baldwin in a time of 30:27 who edged out Police Chief John Stone
Thanks to JB Sports Timing for all of the Race info.